Wednesday, October 6, 2010

WORDS LIKE: "I WISH I HADN'T DONE THAT"

There are very few shows on TV, outside of those whose figures are wearing a number, worth watching. Sports on the tube remains almost singularly as a production which clearly has a villain and a hero. It's very simple, actually. You root for "your" team and root "against" their opponent.
That is probably why I enjoy watching sports on TV. I don't have to try and decide whether I'm pulling for the cop or the robber. Things aren't like they were back when John Wayne made movies. You KNEW who you were pulling for... without exception. TV was the same way; Marshall Matt Dillon was the good guy and those despicable villains were the guys you rooted "against".
Today, there are roughly 942 cop shows on TV. And the producers and networks have clearly demonstrated that they've completely run out of ideas. I mean seriously... how many "CSI's" can you have? CSI... CSI New York... CSI Miami. Within another year or two, CSI Hillsboro will be a prime time option. The trouble with "most" of the "police" dramas, is that the supposedly "good" guys are just about as bad as the "bad" guys.
There are a couple of "police" shows that are fun to watch, though. Shows like "Cops" and "World's Dumbest Criminals" are a hoot. The most gifted writer in Hollywood couldn't come up with some of this stuff. Actors, regardless of their abilities, can't accurately portray how dumb some of these real life criminals actually are.
According to the "Fort Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel", on June 4, 1993, Nathan Radlich's house was broken into. The burglars left his TV, his VCR, his watch and a whole cache of other valuables. The only thing they took was a "generic white cardboard box" containing a couple of pounds of a grayish white fine powder. A police spokesman stated that the powder looked very similar to raw, uncut cocaine and that the intruders undoubtedly thought they had scored big. Trouble was; what they made of with was the cremated remains of Mr. Radlich's late wife.
Now try to picture in your mind how excited these burglars must have been when they thought they'd scored "the big one". Got that? OK... NOW try to picture in your mind what their reactions were when they snorted a nice big line of MRS. RADLICH'S remains.
According to the "San Francisco Chronicle", Albert Goldsband nervously walked into a San Bernadino, California bank and handed a teller a hand written note demanding money. The teller, however, couldn't read Mr. Goldsband's handwriting. She studied the note for a few moments and Mr. Goldsband, paying more attention to his surroundings than what the teller was doing, pulled a plastic toy gun from his pocket. Trouble was, the teller, not being able to decipher his handwriting had left to see if her supervisor could read it. Mr. Goldsband panicked and ran from the bank. He ran down the street and ducked into a nearby restaurant. More trouble... the restaurant he picked was one frequented by officers of the San Bernadino Police Department. More trouble... he was still holding his toy gun in his hand. Mr. Goldsband was arrested immediately and subsequently charged with the attempted bank robbery.
I guess, all things considered, that's just a lot to try and remember. I mean, running down the street with a toy gun in your hand is pretty common... isn't it?
From the "Oakland Tribune", Lee Womble, 28, was arrested and charged with robbing the Lafayette Bank in Bridgeport, Connecticut. Authorities reported that Mr. Womble was their primary suspect... in fact, he was their only suspect. Mr. Womble walked into the bank and handed the teller a handwritten note demanding the money, and SIGNED HIS NAME at the bottom of the note!
I reckon he figured if he signed it, that would make it more official... you think?
The "Chicago Tribune" reported that an "alleged" drunk driver was NOT taken to jail after his arrest. According to Police Captain Mike Lanam, the "alleged" drunk driver fled when officers attempted to pull him over. A brief, but rather wild high speed chase ensued shortly after midnight, in which several police cruisers were involved in the pursuit. After losing control of his vehicle, the driver crashed his car INTO THE JAIL!!! The driver was removed from his car and immediately booked into custody.
Does the saying; "sometimes you just can't win" mean anything to you?
I wonder how many of these people, after a little time to think about it, uttered the words, "I can't believe I did that". Come to think of it, I wonder how many times we've ALL muttered the words, "I can't believe I did that... or... I can't believe I said that". It's NOT that we've all said or done things we wished we hadn't, what's remarkable is HOW MANY TIMES we've all said or done things we wished we hadn't... usually being the same things over and over again.
When the Apostle Paul sat down and wrote a letter to the church at Philippi, he gave them AND us some good advice. Philippians 2: 3-5 says: "Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself. Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others. Let THIS mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus".
I'm pretty sure that if I could just get a little better hold of that scripture, I wouldn't be as prone to uttering those words like, "I wish I hadn't___". 'Cause I've read almost everything Jesus said and read about almost everything the Bible says He did, and I can't for the life of me find anything where Jesus uttered those words. Now I also know that we don't have a record of every word Jesus said, but I reckon He never had cause to say that He wished He hadn't done or said something. AND, I reckon Jesus never did let His mouth run away with itself... Gee, I wish I could say that... but then again, I wish EVERYBODY could say that... Oh, don't get mad, Hey... It's Just A Thought!

No comments: